BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 09, 2007

I should be doing my problem set now but I can't help but share this rare experience.. I swear it's a good one.. =)

Our Chem professor told us to attend a lecture at the NISMED auditorium.. at first, we were kind of hesitant to go.. lecture? wouldn't that be boring? but we heard something that was just striking.. the keyword: Harvard Scientist of the Year awardee!

Curious of who and what kind of person he is, we headed to the venue and eagerly waited for the program to start.. and i'm telling you, it wasn't the usual lecture we thought it would be.. we had fun listening to the speaker, and more than that, we were inspired!

Dr. Baldomero "Toto" M. Olivera, BS Chemistry graduate, UP 1960.. 2007 Harvard Foundation Scientist of the Year.. need i say more?

He told us a very interesting story about the cone snail.. haven't heard of it yet? well, i suggest you start reading stuffs about it.. it's fascinating! =)

I won't repeat his lecture, neither would I enumerate the facts that I got from his talk.. but what I want to list down are the life lessons that I think are worthy to be mentioned..

Lesson 1: find out what you're interested in.. focus on and work for it.. it doesn't matter if it seems nonsense at first, just persist in it.. who knows where it might take you.. [dr. olivera never expected that he'll get this far with his studies on snails]

Lesson 2: a mentor does have a tremendous influence over a student.. a student's life could be forever changed by one word of encouragement or discouragement from his/her professor.. [dr. olivera's passion for the chemistry of marine species started with a motivation from his high school instructor, dolores hernandez.. and he has never failed to mention her over and over again throughout his lecture.. he owes her a lot.. really..]

Lesson 3: it's okay to make your own rules once is a while.. explore.. [one of dr. olivera's students in his laboratory did an experiment different from what they were asked to do.. amazingly, he came up with one good result which they used to develop the alternative drug for morphine, prialt..]

According to Dr. Olivera, part of his success was his good luck.. but I would like to believe that more than luck, what made him the man he is now, was his determination and persistence.. and it all started with an interest..

What did I gain from the lecture? Well, aside from the interesting facts about snails, I was inspired by his story.. and I came to this conclusion:

..success starts from an interest.. supported by at least one person who believes in you and motivates you to persist that interest.. and of course, hardwork..

It was such an honor to be able to hear a talk from a Harvard Foundation awardee.. and i never regret the fact that I sacrificed a major subject to finish it.. it was worth it! it's not everyday that I'll get to be inspired by not just a personality, but a star in his chosen field.. and I'm glad I didn't let that opportunity pass.. =)

0 comments: